Sunday, February 10, 2013

Slice of life comedies- it never gets boring... or it gets?

Slice of life comedies are one of my favourite genres, I even don't mind it's subgenre, wich is 'cute girls doing cute things'. But after watching few episodes of GJ- bu I coudn't resist but to think: ''Damn it, why it is so boring''. As this series have nothing entertaining except the gags I wasn't enjoying it to much, or was I expecting to much? GJ-bu is normal for it's genre, but instead of saying 'good' I would now say it's 'avenge'. Am I really getting old? Have I watched to many animes from this genre? Or anime studios doesn't even try to do something more discriminative? I would like to write about what could work to entertain me more in slice of life comedies.

Make it about otaku
As a person who enjoys watching and reading titles about anime otaku's I would be entertained. You always can laugh at yourself and have a good time guessing from what anime was this reference. A good example of it is Lucky Star and Genshiken.

Place the events somewhere else than the school and school club
School comedies can get boring. You got 90% of chance that bunch of friends would create a club named ''Neighbourhood Club'' or ''A Club Where We Do Nothing''. I'm looking forward when anime studio changes the school atmosphere. Maybe place it in the restaurant? Yes, Working! is a good example. Or a restaurant at the beach? Yes, Shinryaku! Ika Musume is a good example too.

Make strong sex jokes
I know some people don't like sex jokes, especially when they have no context, but I'm a little obscene person and I laugh my ass off in this kind of humor. Pantsu and virgin jokes are too weak, it need to be something more dirty. A great exapmles are B Gata H Kei and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Make it crazy
Some craziness and originality are always welcome. If nutty means stupid in some way I also don't mind. Like Binbougami ga. Studio Shatf like to add their characteristic cut scenes like in Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and it's fine too. Nichijou fused crazy humor with great animation.

Make it about lesbians
I know we got enough yuri vibe in 'cute girls doing cute things' but when the girls actually are lesbians it's entertaining to watch. In Yuru Yuri and Kanamemo the yuri tag is actually real.

Add some plot and drama
Yes, I know some people don't like these two genres together and whine ''It's supposed to be a comedy!'' but let's calm down for a moment, it actually worked in Binbougami Ga. I laughed at funny moments and cry at emotional moments. Kotoura-san is trying to combine this two differences too.

Make it about boys
As a female I would not want to discriminate 'cute boys doing cute things'. Of course shounen-ai vibe isn't my kind of cake at all but they are actually titles which don't have this much atmosphere. Like Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Tsuritama.

Of course there are instances when either of this conditions aren't fulfilled and the titles are very enjoyable to watch, like K-on! This requirements don't guarantee how much I will enjoy the series but I would like to see more anime like these, I just don't want to be bored watching my favourite genre and I hope anime studios will show something more entertaining in slice of life comedies by the time. ...

















No comments:

Post a Comment